[arch-general] Still Glibc problems

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 06:13:10 EDT 2012

2012/7/20 David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>:

> On 07/19/12 16:42, D. R. Evans wrote:
>>
>> pacman -Syu --ignore filesystem && pacman -S filesystem --force
>>
>> ----
>>
>> and that gives:
>>
>> ----
>>
>> error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files) glibc: /lib
>> exists in filesystem Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
>>
>> ----
>>
> Somebody will need to clarify the precise syntax. But it looks to me
> like you can't just ignore filesystem here; you also need to ignore
> glibc, then--I think--do the glibc upgrade without the --force option
> following the filesystem upgrade.

I'm a bit confused at this point if filesystem is now upgraded or not.
If i understand correctly, the symlinks for /var/run and /var/lock are
there already.

If fileystem is not yet upgraded, what might just work is to restore
the previous state:
delete /var/run and /var/lock (the symlinks), re-create them as
directories and then install filesystem again.
That way the situation is exactly as filesystem expects and the
upgrade should go smoothly without --force.

I /think/ the same goes for glibc, although i'm not sure about that one.
If /lib is already a symlink but the package doesn't install, the
safest procedure would appear to be something like:
- boot from livecd
- mount the local filesystems
- delete the /lib symlink and create the /lib directory
- use pacmans's --root parameter to update glibc

Both are untested, though.
On the bright side, i know from experience that it's fairly simple to
completely reinstall Arch (had a bad HDD once).

mvg,
    Guus