[arch-general] Still Glibc problems

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jul 20 21:25:34 EDT 2012

On 07/20/2012 04:45 PM, Baho Utot wrote:
> On 07/20/2012 12:46 PM, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> at all :-(
>>>
>>> I had a desktop system hosed that only packages in core, extra and
>> community installed.
>>
>> I never heard of anyone actually hosing their system without using --force.
>> What happened? (I'm assuming you don't use testing?).
>>
>> -t
>
> No I didn't use testing.
> Followed the news release......rebooted....system borked.

Tom, Baho,

  After Updating 3 boxes and created 3 new arch chroots, you do have manual
intervention required in just about every case if you have ever used mkinitcpio
to rebuild initramfs (leaves old module trees in /lib/modules) or if you have
ever used virtualbox (old vb modules left in /lib/modules/misc or
/lib/modules/kernel/misc) udev-compat is also a problem. Just pacman -R that.

  Then after you do the initial pacman -Syu --ignore glibc, you need to manually
pick though lib and make sure there is _nothing_ but glibc files in it. (no
empty dirs, no links, no nothing) Then you can do the final pacman -Syu

  Also, if you attempt to create or update an arch chroot -- make sure you have
no stale repos in pacman.conf. The install will fail and half your system will
be mounted under the chroot dir.  There is no way to update an arch chroot with
the glibc 2.15->2.16 update. Just create a new one.

  Hope some of this helps..

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.