[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [ANNOUNCE] initscripts-2012.07.3

Sam Mulvey sam at tacomatelematics.com
Sat Jul 21 18:47:10 EDT 2012

On Jul 21, 2012, at 2:40 PM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:

> Did you even bother to read what Tom wrote? You can still use your old
> rc.conf. It is just recommend to use the new config files instead. This
> makes using initscripts and systemd in parallel easier. And there are
> not 9k config files but three.

I've read what Tom wrote both here and in the man page, and he's talking about the ArchLinux /etc/rc.conf as "the old way" and people being "gently pushed" toward using the new configuration files.   In my experience, that's a step on the road toward deprecation and non-support.   For those of us who are well served by the rc.conf way of doing things, this could be a cause of concern, and now seems like an appropriate time to speak up.

I would prefer to run systemd as little as possible.   A central config file and reasonably transparent init system fit my case much better.

-Sam