[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sun Jul 22 08:29:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

Am 22.07.2012 10:18, schrieb Jorge Almeida:
> what should they do when the KISS
> principle is in a collision course with upstream trends?

You could easily argue that a single rc.conf file is *not* very KISS,
whereas on the other hand a bunch of small files - with a name already
telling you what it is supposed to do - is *very* KISS.

I'm running Arch for a few years myself and to be honest, I never quite
liked the idea of rc.conf, as this was something very specific to Arch.

Furthermore this whole effort of trying to stop this change by a kind of
blackmail is lame, especially the threat that some of you would switch
over to Fedora when considering that Fedora is already implementing all
of this and probably will always be the first to do so in the future.

If you really want to stop it, you should come up with some technical
reasons. I haven't heard any so far and I'm not even sure whether there
are any. Arch was always - if nothing else - about upstream
compatibility and this is just the next step. Considering that you don't
change this stuff often anyway, I don't see a problem here, especially
because your old rc.conf's will work just fine in the near future.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch