[arch-general] Grub2 config file needs to be tweaked with last official ISO

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sun Jul 22 08:50:10 EDT 2012

Am Sun, 22 Jul 2012 14:34:12 +0200
schrieb Nelson Marambio <nelsonmarambio at gmx.de>:

> Am 22.07.2012 13:50, schrieb Damjan:
>

> > ps.
> > any special reason that you have a separate /boot partition?
> >

> /boot is still mentioned in the beginner's guide on
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide#Selecting_a_partitioning_scheme
>
> Maybe it should be removed there ?

No, a separate /boot partition is still necessary if the whole harddisk
is encrypted with dm-crypt/LUKS. I haven't heard yet that grub2 is able
to unlock LUKS containers.

And if not kept mounted, it can also make the system a bit more secure
for really paranoid people. Btw., if I recall correctly somewhere in the
grub2 docs or Wiki I read something that in some cases (BIOS/MBR or
something like that) a separate /boot partition is necessary.

Heiko