[arch-general] Arch's move to systemd integration

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sun Jul 22 15:38:31 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Nicholas MIller <nick.kyky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am 22.07.2012 21:11, schrieb Myra Nelson:
>> > On my system rc.conf is 716 B. The three files
>> > (hostname 8 B, vconsole.conf 47 B, and locale.conf 30 B) take up less
>> > space. Granted at the moment it's more but that will be offset when
>> > the move to systemd can be completed.
>>
>> You don't really try to argue about a few bytes like this, do you? With
>> the default block size of 4K (for ext4), this doesn't matter anyway.
>>
>> Though your(Karol) right, that a few bytes doesn't matter in the days of
> TB+ hard drives, it might be something worth looking at (how much more
> space will systemd use/save).  And on some systems (mostly older) it may
> matter.

i don't have any figures/proof but i think systemd is gaining quite a
bit of populatiry on the embedded linux market -- where space and
minimalist is king -- at least ii feel like i've read that a few times
recently :-)

i'm pretty sure i've read posts to systemd-devel by the
http://profusion.mobi/ guys, and some longer blogs too.  also in my
own endeavors with my Sheevaplug and Pandaboard i've run across a
number of people who were using it with great results (as am i :-)

probably beating a dead horse here, bu IMO it's just blatantly
superior all ways imaginable ... this becomes increasingly obvious the
longer you work with it (check out user-sessions! yay!).

--

C Anthony