[arch-general] Arch's move to systemd integration

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Sun Jul 22 15:45:57 EDT 2012

Hi,

Am 22.07.2012 21:26, schrieb Nicholas MIller:
> Though your(Karol) right, that a few bytes doesn't matter in the days of
> TB+ hard drives, it might be something worth looking at (how much more
> space will systemd use/save).  And on some systems (mostly older) it may
> matter.

No, it doesn't. A file can't take less space than a single block, which
defaults to 4k (at least this is what "/etc/mke2fs.conf" tells me). So
any separation of a small file like "rc.conf" into a few even smaller
files will take up even a little bit more space.

But I don't think that there is a system on this planet, which runs a
recent version of Linux (and/or Arch), which can't afford to have a few
more files like this. I know some of you will come up with some examples
now that I've challenged it, but I think we can agree that a few
kilobytes on the hard drive back and forth are not worth talking about.

Furthermore that's not what KISS is about. KISS is about keeping it
simple, not about keeping it small (in regard to files sizes). Although
there are cases this might be the same, I don't see why this should be
the case here.

Personally I don't understand what this complaining is all about. It is
much more simple to have dedicated files for tasks like setting the
console font than having it in one "big" file specific to Arch.
Furthermore it will be some sort of a standard, so you won't have to
look up something as trivial as setting the hostname in case you are
dealing with another distribution once in a while.

I really don't get it: I'm willing to accept that not everyone is eager
to get in touch with systemd and that there are some points you could
criticize systemd for, but in this case we are talking about splitting
up an Arch specific file in order to be in compliance with upstream
and/or other distributions. I can't see why this is something that's
worth this much discussion considering the fact that the "old" syntax
will still be supported.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch