[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Jul 22 16:45:44 EDT 2012

On 07/21/2012 11:59 PM, fredbezies wrote:
> But developpers must know better than users what is the best for the
> distro. Killing /etc/rc.conf ? Why not. But for me, it is more KISS
> oriented than /etc/locale.conf, /etc/vconsole.conf,
> /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf files.
>
> As I said, it is my $0.02. Excuse my bad english, I'm no really awake !

I agree with your .02 fred,

  I prefer a well commented rc.conf config file to virtually all of the other
sysv and variations I've seen. A single file, well laid out and easily set up
with reasonable defaults by Arch and simple to customize for the user. KISS in
the best sense.

  I'll also add my .02 on commented v. non-commented config/init files. There is
no substitution for a well commented file. I hate opening a commentless config
file and then having to switch to another vt to guess at which man page to open.
(then alt+left, alt+right back and forth hunting down each option in some badly
readable man page)

  For those that don't like comments, then please just 'grep -v "^#" old.conf >
new.conf' to get rid of the comments. There is nothing the rest of the users can
do to put the comments back in once there gone.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.