[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 10:59:21 EDT 2012

> I don't think a single Arch specific file is as simple as some
> "standardized" files, where the filename already tells you what it is
> supposed to do. Both comments and defaults are allowed and appreciated,
> so this is not an argument at all.

It is not necessarily this difference but the fact that this bsdism
guarantees plain sight whilst almost all other systems I have seen are
far less clear and arch was refreshing in this regard in the linux
world. OpenBSD has always had an rc.conf with default base provided
package settings (almost everything =NO (off)) and an override
rc.conf.local showing the name and non-default commandline arguments
used, which I love. Fairly recently it has gotten a single rc.d folder
for user installed packages which sometimes require longer scripts too.