[arch-general] Roadmap for user-intervention upgrades [was: Still Glibc problems]

Martin Cigorraga msx at archlinux.us
Tue Jul 24 02:15:18 EDT 2012

On 23 July 2012 23:42, David C. Rankin <drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com>wrote:

> On 07/23/2012 09:22 PM, Martin Cigorraga wrote:
> > Again: people don't read, screw up their system and then blame the
> > change... :P
>
> In some case yes, in some cases, that's not quite true. The usrlib change
> depended a great deal on how old your Arch install was, how many custom
> packages
> you had built with files in /lib, how many initramfs you have generated
> over the
> years, whether you have older versions of virtualbox around, whether you
> every
> used nvidia, etc.., etc.. etc..
>
> It was no small change for those with older systems or many custom
> packages.
>
> Read, yes, read, but if you read the wiki and did the first:
>
> pacman -Syu --ignore glibc
>
> _before_ you rebuilt all the needed custom packages, then you were left
> unable
> to build them until you completed the glibc install due to linker and other
> needed links being moved from /lib to /usr/lib before the symlink of /lib
> ->
> /usr/lib is created _after_ the glibc update. There are a few sticky
> wickets in
> there, involving temporary package removal with -Rdd in order to complete
> the
> glibc install to be able to rebuild some of the offending packages.
>
> The better was to first verify what packages had files in /lib and then
> rebuild
> until only glibc had files in /lib, then do the first pacman -Syu --ignore
> glibc
>
> Only experience showed that was the way to go..
>
> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.

Good point - I didn't see that.
I agree with you, but my personal experience with the upgrade was quite
smooth in my
three home machines: 1 old laptop I use as server, 1 tower I use for NAS
and my personal
laptop which is a 4x4 multi purpose system - being my notebook a 1 and half
year old and
the other two 1 year old each.
All I had to do was remove a few packages that had files installed in
/lib, update glibc
reinstall them and continue with my life :)
The beauty behind this is we are now enjoying the new paradigm without
reinstalling the
system while with other distros your only chance to make the switch is
reinstall not only
your OS but everything else!
Cheers.

--