[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Calvin Morrison mutantturkey at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 10:51:05 EDT 2012

On 24 July 2012 10:43, Ike Devolder <ike.devolder at gmail.com> wrote:
> Op dinsdag 24 juli 2012 10:29:25 schreef Calvin Morrison:
>> > Personally, I get exasperated when people don't take the time to
>> > educate themselves before making broad and incorrect assertions. There
>> > is a huge amount of documentation, discussion and other sources of
>> > information about systemd available online. Moreover, there is the
>> > source-code, and even the packages in Arch one can try out. There
>> > really is no excuse.
>>
>> Well for me I do not have the time to go about learning the latest and
>> greatest init system, desktop environment, whatever. I still use KDE3,
>> I use old school init systems... why? because I use my system to do
>> work not to tinker. I need it to "just work" and continue working in
>> the same way it has. I don't want to become educated on the latest
>> coolest thing, I just want something that will work and work well. I
>> do not have time to pour through documentation of systemd just to
>> figure out how to work it.  When change is just for change I do not
>> like it.
>>
>> Calvin
>
> my 2cents on your usecase:
> Arch Linux is always the newest and latest and ...
> so maybe your use-case does not fit this distributions profile
>
> if you really want everything to stay the same forever there are distributions
> out there which fit your needs exactly, but in my idea Arch is not it.
>
> --Ike

"To summarize: Arch Linux is a versatile, and simple distribution
designed to fit the needs of the competent Linux® user. It is both
powerful and easy to manage, making it an ideal distro for servers and
workstations. Take it in any direction you like. If you share this
vision of what a GNU/Linux distribution should be, then you are
welcomed and encouraged to use it freely, get involved, and contribute
to the community. Welcome to Arch!"

I have been using Arch since 2009. I like it a lot. It serves me very well :-)

Calvin