[arch-general] systemd network configuration

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Wed Jul 25 10:52:49 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 11:57:02AM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>
>> Then create a service file in /etc/systemd/system/davids-network.service
>>
>> [unit]
>> description= David's Network Setup
>> Wants= network.target
>> Before= network.target
>>
>> [service]
>> Type = oneshot
>> ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/davids-network.sh
>>
>> [instal]
>> WantedBy= multi-user.target
>
> Can't help it, I find this syntax ugly (CamelCase), illiterate
> (assigning values to prepositions and verbs), and confusing.
> In 'A.service', what does 'Before= B' mean ? Does A come
> before B or the inverse ?

i normally prefer underscores in code ... but i'm pretty sure that
would look terrible?

the verb/preposition-like keywords usually describe other units -- eg.
other services/targets/ACTIVITIES -- so i don't think it's
incomprehensible.

all keywords are from A's perspective:
 - A `Wants` to start B when it starts (if available)
 - A must finish `Before` B can start (if started simultaneously)
 - A is `WantedBy` by C (if "installing" A permanently)
 - etc.

... basically it "reads" as you'd expect.

--

C Anthony