[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 25 12:13:09 EDT 2012

> Why you would want to specify which services had to come before or after
> which other services is obvious when you consider that systemd boots
> services in parallel.  There is no way in the current system, and no way
> without specifying, to boot several daemons at the same time and then
> boot other daemons afterwards

Maybe you could be clearer because scripting is almost boundless.
Performance sensitive apps may require perl, C, assembly or
hardware driven systems of course.

The issue to me begins with whatever requires systemd be so large to
start with and not be started by a script or init to begin with. There
are plenty of languages with concurrency. personally I will obviously
keep tabs on how systemd evolves but currently it's not a glove that
fits for us all, thankfully that's not required to run arch easily yet.

> that depend on them having completely
> launched.

In the interests of learning for my scripts and hopefully without
leading the witnesses who may badger Tom? I'm interested to know how
systemd knows universally that a service is "completely launched"
ignoring that daemons themselves don't always know?

I'm surprised people are still coming out with it is obviously far
superior in every way. Change it to many ways atleast, please.