[arch-general] My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Wed Jul 25 19:19:09 EDT 2012

Am Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:05:37 -0400
schrieb "Stephen E. Baker" <baker.stephen.e at gmail.com>:

> This DAEMONS array is nice, one of the things I like about Arch, but
> it is specific to Arch not SysV.  If you run Gentoo, or others you
> won't have something like that, you'll have a program that arranges
> symlinks, not entirely unlike systemd.

Well, yes. I guess you're right, at least somehow. It's long ago that I
switched from Gentoo to Arch. Nevertheless I'm not quite sure if
systemd does the same as Gentoo does. At least Gentoo does this with
shell scripts. But I still had no time to read the links about systemd,
Tom posted recently.

> Why you would want to specify which services had to come before or
> after which other services is obvious when you consider that systemd
> boots services in parallel.

Principally right again. But I have a problem with booting daemons in
parallel, on Gentoo as well as on Arch. Made several problems. But I
can't tell anymore which. So I prefer booting in serial, even if it's
slower. If I recall correctly this was also one of Arch's advantages
over Gentoo that I just could add the daemons to the DAEMONS array in
rc.conf and choose the order myself.

> Odd, Arch uses SysV's init, but it certainly doesn't have a SysVinit
> init system. It's much closer to BSD, and a lot of the tools we use
> are custom.

I know, and it's not necessarily bad.

> Others include OpenRC (used by Gentoo), Upstart (used by Ubuntu) and
> of course systemd (used by Fedora)

I must admit that I didn't use OpenRC and Upstart, yet. I switch to
Arch right before OpenRC was introduced in Gentoo.

Heiko