[arch-general] lib -> usr/lib

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jul 26 01:13:00 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 13:01 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

> >> well no
> >> the point is to have a single top-level directory for a single purpose.
> >>
> >> so distribution provided files will go to /usr, local-system
> >> configuration in /etc, /run is for runtime state, /var is the
> >> local-system state (the non-ephemeral state).
> >
> > My variant is:
> >
> > /lib -> /usr/lib
> > /bin -> /usr/bin
> > /sbin -> /usr/bin
> >
> > After that rename:
> > /usr to /system
> > /etc to /config
> > /dev to /device
> >
> > Why not using clear (and not so short) names to indicate real purpose!
> >
> Yes, why not just turn the device into android... renaming for the
> sake of renaming serves no purpose. There are real benefits to moving
> /lib and /bin into /usr, renaming folders does not provide any real
> benefits.

Today I hope we'll keep /usr, /etc, /dev etc., but when I started to use
Linux /system, /config would be easier to understand. Well, between /dev
and /device there's no difference, even for my completely broken
English.

However, I'm not sure if "brainworker" is serious or sarcastic ;p.

Regards,
Ralf