[arch-general] Systemd +1

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 04:25:53 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at xtfx.me> wrote:

> i think the likelihood of this is extremely low -- if your binary is
> so borked it can't run at all, methinks none of your binaries will run
> (since you have probably messed up the dynamic linker or something).

I'd have thought that /sbin/init would be a statically linked program. As
it happens, I'm wrong.
/bin/systemd is a dynamic program too.

> ultimately, you can always just bypass systemd with `init=/bin/bash`
> or, if dynamic libs were fuxxed, `init=/bin/busybox`, or even
> `init=/usr/lib/initcpio/busybox` ... which will get you a root shell.

Now that I'm checking... /bin/busybox is statically linked, but
/usr/lib/initcpio/busybox is not. That is a good incentive to have the
busybox package installed by default. Just in case.

If the system is so borked and you dont have the busybox around, you can
also delete the root=whatever from the kernel command line and you will get
a (initramfs) prompt. Then you can use it as a quick'n'dirty rescue system.

--
Rodrigo