[arch-general] Systemd : Analysis of reactions of Users

Dennis Herbrich dennis at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 26 07:29:57 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 12:59:29PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 12:31 +0200, Alexandre Ferrando wrote:
> > On 26 July 2012 12:07, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> > > I don't claim to be an expert, I already mentioned that I'm a dummy. So
> > > again: Is Linux in the future for experts only?
> > >

> > Arch has always been targeted towards a competent userbase, if you're
> > not that kind of person, there's still distros that don't require you
> > to tinker with your system (ubuntu, fedora, suse, mint, mandriva /
> > mageia etc...)
>
> I run Ubuntu, Debian, Suse and Arch. Until now I'm able to handle this,
> but I don't know any German city or company using Linux anymore ... of
> course, there are a few exceptions, I'm aware of them. Arch is the less
> painful distro I know, so the recommendation to switch to another
> distro, especially to distros I already use is stupid.

In fact, the company I work at uses Arch Linux for it's development virtual
machines. Yes, *before* I started to work here. ;) However, as I wrote earlier,
I fail to see the merit in using "potential user base" as a metric for the
validity of strategic discussions. OSS projects DO need to reach a critical
user base to stay alive and healthy, but Arch Linux is well beyond that point,
so why bother? "Arch Linux to rule them all"? Waste of time and brain cycles.

Arch Linux is one of the "less painful" distributions, as you rightly put it.
Let's keep it that way, along with the "early adopter" spirit.

> Did you ever take a look how many men and how many women are subscribed
> to Linux mailing lists? ... Sorry, I tend to become OT, but back to the
> topic. Are you and some others really interested in getting an OS for
> everybody, or do you enjoy to be one of the few experts?

I find it rather rude to imply that people here are striving to maintain an
elitarian status of expertism. Quite the contrary is the case, with Arch being
one of the few distributions openly and explicitly sticking to what one might
call a consensus of "standard" linux concepts. I hope you see the difference
to blatant obfuscation. *cough*YaST anno '99*cough*. ;)

> I'm not against systemd, I just wish to be able to get some explanation,
> in German!

Well, that shouldn't be too hard to find in the long run. It might not be
available now, but if systemd has merits and becomes more widely adopted,
volunteers will crop up and translate/create appropriate guides. If that's too
slow for someone, they may choose to speed things up by paying for such
services. "Time, Cost, Quality - Choose two."

Best wishes,
  Dennis

--
"Den Rechtsstaat macht aus, dass Unschuldige wieder frei kommen."
  Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble, Bundesinnenminister (14.10.08, TAZ-Interview)

0D21BE6C - F3DC D064 BB88 5162 56BE  730F 5471 3881 0D21 BE6C