[arch-general] Re: My end-user $0.02 on /etc/rc.conf splitting.

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Thu Jul 26 08:16:23 EDT 2012

The 26/07/12, Heiko Baums wrote:

> Principally right again. But I have a problem with booting daemons in
> parallel, on Gentoo as well as on Arch. Made several problems. But I
> can't tell anymore which. So I prefer booting in serial, even if it's
> slower.

Right. It's not much surprising that Gentoo and Arch had problem while
trying to get init start daemons in parallel because none of these init
scripts were initially designed for that purpose.

>         If I recall correctly this was also one of Arch's advantages
> over Gentoo that I just could add the daemons to the DAEMONS array in
> rc.conf and choose the order myself.

I expect from systemd to highly change such bad user experience in the
world of parallel init.

> I must admit that I didn't use OpenRC and Upstart, yet. I switch to
> Arch right before OpenRC was introduced in Gentoo.

I have Gentoo systems and enabling parallel in them made systems ran
into problems, here.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht