[arch-general] lib -> usr/lib

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 08:19:51 EDT 2012

Op 26 jul. 2012 10:56 schreef "Rodrigo Rivas" <rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com>
het volgende:

jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > > Well, then:
> > >
> > >     /opt -> /usr/opt
> > >
> > > And everyone will be happy :)
> >
> > No, I guess not, /usr is for vendor-supplied stuff. /opt is for personal
> > stuff.  That is the conflict.
> >

> But then, /usr/local is for system administrator stuff, so what about?

close, but no cookie.
/usr/local is for locally compiled stuff where no packages are used
(sysadmin!). Also, these should adhere to the Unix standards for file
locations (binaries, libraries, config, etc)

/opt is for third-party stuff like closed-source software. The idea is to
let each such application have it's own hierarchie without cluttering the
rest of the system.

mvg, Guus