[arch-general] BIND 9 problem

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 12:17:30 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Δημήτρης Ζέρβας <01ttouch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my own DNS server but I can't...
> I registered ns1.mydomain.com as a nameserver and I ponted it to my VPS's
> IP.
> the I listed ns1.mydomain.com as the nameserver of mydomain.com.
>
> I don't know if I've done something wrong with my registrar or my
> zones/configs are wrong...
> the logs are absolutely empty!
>
> all my confs/zones: http://pastebin.com/z23HRyAh
> the ONLY thing altered in the confs is the domain

1. You are missing a $ORIGIN line at the top of your zone file:

        $ORIGIN dimitrisze.com.

    (Don't forget the dot after "com"!)

2. Your SOA record has a wrong MNAME (master DNS server name) field –
it should point to a DNS server such as "ns1.mydomain.com." (or just
"ns1" if you have $ORIGIN), not to the domain itself.

3. Your SOA field is missing the RNAME (responsible person name) field
between MNAME and the serial number. It should point to an email
address in DNS syntax, e.g. "01ttouch.gmail.com." or
"hostmaster.mydomain.com." (or just "hostmaster").

http://pastebin.com/xPMzG8m2 should be correct. Use "named-checkzone"
to verify zone files:

    named-checkzone mydomain.com /etc/named/domain-enabled/mydomain.com.db

By the way, hiding the domain is 1) pointless since domain names are
public anyway, 2) makes it much harder to answer such questions when I
cannot look at the real information with `dig` and such. (You forgot
to change line 63, though.)

Also, using "notify no" is a poor idea – makes DNS updates a bit slower.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas