[arch-general] tty0 not available anymore with systemd

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Sun Jul 29 15:00:15 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 29.07.2012 07:59, schrieb C Anthony Risinger:
>> the link isn't broken, right? pointing to, say, /lib/systemd/...
>
> No, its not:
>
> [root at vpcs ~]# ls -l
> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jul 29 01:12
> /etc/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service ->
> /usr/lib/systemd/getty at .service

do you have `ls --color` enabled? that link is almost certainly broken:

# ls /usr/lib/systemd/getty at .service
ls: cannot access /usr/lib/systemd/getty at .service: No such file or #
ls /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
/usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service

... note the extra `system` in the path. do a:

# systemctl reenable getty at tty1.service

... it looks like you probably tried to manually relink it at some point.

> By the way: When starting it manually my X server gets killed and I get
> switched back to tty1. So the unit file should be fine.

that is really odd ... AFAIK they should not conflict with each other
at all ... i've no idea whats happening there.  the only real
difference i see between your setup and min is the use of:

display-manager.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service

... whereas i simply put gdm in graphical.target.wants:

graphical.target.wants/gdm.service -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service

... i don't think that's really an issue tho.  systemd.special seems
to suggest that this special unit is mainly for LSB compatibility, but
it's not clear.

--

C Anthony