[arch-general] tty0 not available anymore with systemd

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 29 15:20:01 EDT 2012

> > One cannot have a console on /dev/tty0, sine it's not a real tty but
> > only a pointer to the currently activated console.
>
> Ok, maybe the terminology I've used is wrong. However I'm talking about
> the console, which normally would come up when pressing "Ctrl+Alt+F1".
> Guess it would be tty1 then ;).

Looks like so on linux but you can certainly be excused for picking it
up from somewhere. On OpenBSD you have a /dev/console (I guess like tty0
on linux) and tty0 comes up from ctrl-alt-f1.

You also have OpenBSD 5.0 releases

Linux kernels start with 3.2.1 not 3.2.0

The Human vs computer friendly argument, I guess.

p.s.

I noticed this the other day but figured I had said and repeated enough
about systemd but as ttys have come up I will mention it.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init"

"Aside from runlevels 0, 1, and 6, every Unix and Unix-like system
treats runlevels a little differently. The common denominator is
the /etc/inittab file, which defines what each runlevel does (if they
do anything at all)."

So it seems systemd has achieved the opposite (maybe
for a good reason, I do not know) on one of it's goals and I would say
the main driving force behind it of unifying init system control in
this case at the very least.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)