[arch-general] Cups 1.6 printer discovery

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 16:02:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 10:52 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact I already had "BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd" in cupsd.conf in my
> laptop (client) - and on checking the server machine in fact
> avahi-daemon was already running - though I may need to change a
> config somewhere to allow it to broadcast dns-sd?

Can your laptop see the server machine itself?

Use `avahi-discover`, `avahi-browse --all`, or `mdns-scan`. (With
nss-mdns installed, the server can also be accessed via
`<hostname>.local`)

> I now have avahi-daemon running in the client laptop also but I don't
> see any printers visible from the server in the local network - one
> question I don't know is what port the dns-sd traffic needs - I need
> to ensure that any required port is not blocked in the firewalls.

mDNS uses port 5353/udp and also relies on IP multicast (which is core
part of IPv6, but sometimes breaks in IPv4).

--
Mantas Mikulėnas