[arch-general] Cups 1.6 printer discovery

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 17:34:58 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 9:50 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> OK I have avahi-daemon running on both client and server - and have
>>> just opened up port 5353 on both machines (mdns)
>>>
>>> avahi-browse --all now sees the printer and opening a browser on
>>> localhost:631 and asking to find new printers now sees the cups shared
>>> printer and I can now complete a set of menu options and it has set it
>>> up nicely.  Now the printer is seen on print options - so this is a
>>> great success.
>>>
>>> I think the main key item was opening port 5353 on the firewall....
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help.
>
> Actually I am not quite there - the printer appears set up but when I
> tried printing to it nothing came through on the printer!
>
> A little more investigation needed now....
> --

It is strange - I rebooted the client - now the printer is not visible
in localost:631 - but if I re-run avahi-browse --all it is there again
- and after that I can see the printer in the cups browser management
interface.

Do you have to set up the printer from scratch each time the machine
is booted?  Surely it is possible to make the defined printer stick
when using dns-sd?

However I still have not succeeded in sending a print to the printer
once defined.

--
mike c