[arch-general] Suspend to ram and uresume hook for systemd

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Mon Jul 30 18:30:00 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Mantas Mikulėnas <grawity at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
>> Manta:
> "Mantas".
>
>> Clarification:
>>
>> When using s2ram -f, suspend works. When including the uresume hook in
>> the initramfs.img, it works but a reboot, for whatever reason, hangs
>> waiting for libcrypt, and won't boot. Thus my question. After
>> rebuilding my initramfs image without the uresume hook s2ram -f works
>> but obviously systemctl suspend puts the machine into suspension, but
>> it won't wake up. Here is where my initial confusion came in.
>
> You still haven't explained why do you think you need the "uresume" hook.
>
> `systemctl suspend` DOES NOT use it. The hook is only needed for
> hibernation via `s2disk`.
>
>> Why does the reboot with the uresume hook built into the img look for
>> libcrypt and try to decrypt unencrypted volumes?
>
> - The uresume hook shouldn't be looking for for libgcrypt, since it is
> already part of the hook. If it prints out the libgcrypt version, it
> doesn't mean "looking for".
>
> - The uresume hook needs libgcrypt not because of volumes, but because
> s2disk can be configured to encrypt the hibernation image.
>
> --
> Mantas Mikulėnas

I'm not entirely sure I need the uresume hook. I'm attempting to move
to systemd as much as possible. I may have made an incorrect
assumption in trying it. I'll have to do some more research on it.
s2ram works, I just failed to see why the machine failed to boot (on a
full reboot not coming out of suspension) with uresume compiled into
the image when I do not have any encrypted volumes configured. It
seems (to me) if there are no encrypted volumes, libgcrypt should be
located, no encrypted volumes found, then continue to boot.  It's not
so much if I need it or not, but why the boot failed?

As usual my brain doesn't always track with others. Back to reading
the code and sorting it out.

Myra