[arch-general] 11 minutes mode

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Jul 31 07:16:31 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody knows how to make sure that the kernel will not mess with the hardware
> clock every 11 minutes? The proper way would be to use a kernel that doesn't
> try to do it, but I want to use Arch's standard kernel, which has
> CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE=y.
> Maybe something in /proc?
> I don't know whether the kernel in my system is even doing it; I don't use
> ntp, but the documentation doesn't say what triggers the 11m mode, it just
> gives examples...

As far as I know the only thing that will trigger 11-minute-mode is
that an ntp client tells the kernel that it is running.

To check if it is active you want the adjtimex systemcall. I don't
think we have any program in our repos that coneviently displays this,
so you'll have to make it yourself or find a snippet somewhere online.

-t