[arch-general] Cups 1.6 printer discovery

Damjan gdamjan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 10:49:26 EDT 2012

> So I guess that at this stage the definition of the printer using the
> splix packages on the client laptop fails to work properly for print
> files sent via dnssd -

Files, or better said, print jobs are not sent via dnssd. dnssd is only
used for service discovery so that you can avoid setting the remote
printer manually. The print jobs are sent via the IPP protocol as ever.

> However the server is running
> Fedora F16 - so I don't know if there is a difference between the
> splix packages on Fedora and arch, or not, and whether maybe I will
> have to instead use a proprietary ppd file (which I do have from
> several years ago used before the splix package was mature enough to
> run the printer from the server for the past couple of years)
>
> Anyway I will now explore that to see if I can define a working
> printer on arch. (It is a Samsung SCX-4500W if anyone is interested)

Try to connect the printer directly to your Arch system and see what you
get.

(splix??)

--
дамјан