[arch-general] 11 minutes mode

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Tue Jul 31 12:43:22 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:39 AM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anybody knows how to make sure that the kernel will not mess with the hardware
>>> clock every 11 minutes? The proper way would be to use a kernel that doesn't
>>> try to do it, but I want to use Arch's standard kernel, which has
>>> CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE=y.
>>> Maybe something in /proc?
>>
>> As far as I know the only thing that will trigger 11-minute-mode is
>> that an ntp client tells the kernel that it is running.
>>
> I found in http://www.mail-archive.com/questions@lists.ntp.org/msg02172.html
> that "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/time/rtc_update" would do it, but we don't
> have /proc/sys/kernel/time/. Maybe this info is outdated, or it requires the
> PPSkit patch...
>
> Thanks
>
> J.A.

This is interesting. My problem isn't every 11 minutes, it's spastic,
and it started somewhere in the 3.3 to 3.4 range. I'll look up and my
system time is off by a multiple of 11 minutes but sometimes up to an
hour and half.

I've been working on the following assumptions:

The problem was a bad cmos battery and waiting to get one ordered
Since it occurred more frequently coming out of suspension, it was
something to do with my s2ram setup. This is why I (mistakenly) tried
the uresume hook in my initramfs image.

The problem was based on hangs during rcu updates.
I compiled a debugging kernel and seem to have a large number of them,
and I was getting a lot of [ tsc clocksource unstable ]. Not yet sure
if that's due to a buggy bios or a hardware problem.

Looks like I've got some more research todo.

Myra