[arch-general] Groups and GIDs in PKGBUILDs

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 04:53:03 EDT 2012

On Thursday 31 May 2012 22:55:51 Seblu wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I think it's a bit more complex than that because groups are stored in
> > archives by their GID, not their name.
>
> AFAIK makepkg doesn't call bsdtar with numeric-owner. You can check
> user/group are also stored in package archive.

Huh; you're right.  It seems to unpack correctly using the the name of the
group, rather than the GID when I perform a simple test.

I think what must have lead me to this wrong conclusion was that in my case,
the group would only be created by the .install script *after* the package was
already unpacked.  Since the group didn't yet exist, bsdtar would presumably
fall back to the GID.  So in practice, files still need to be chowned in the
.install script if they'll belong to non-standard groups, but not quite for
the reason I thought.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Paul