[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] adding rng-tools to extra?

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 09:18:09 EDT 2012

On Mon, 04 Jun 2012 09:47:57 +0200
Tobias Powalowski wrote:

> Ok as discussed on IRC, haveged seems the better choice because
> rng-tools need a real hw generator to work correct.

Why not both. Multiple sources will probably increase the
unpredictability and strength or reduce the effectiveness of
predictability flaws (not saying there are any), which should be a
factor as well. Ideally the IDE timings will be expanded to include all
sorts of timings but I think that's the kernel devs not Arches remit.
Maybe as this is a functional problem it may get enough attention from
the kernel devs?

Funnily enough a mail, though the link is quite old now just hit the
OpenBSD list.

An interesting read for sysops and admins.  The analytics indirectly
validate openBSD dev's longstanding pedantic-ness regarding
random-ness and entropy (thank you).

http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/RSA-keys-not-as-random-as-they-should-be-1435474.html