[arch-general] Mailing lists vs Forums

Kwpolska kwpolska at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 14:40:14 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 8:36 PM, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> On 10 June 2012 19:25, Jayesh Badwaik <jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sunday 10 Jun 2012 19:14:19 Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm wondering, what amount of Arch users and developers
>>> use the mailing lists in comparison to the number of people
>>> registered to the Arch Forums?
>>>
>>> Can we have some basic mailing lists statistics anywhere posted?
>>>
>>> Personally, I prefer mailing lists, but I noticed the Forums traffic
>>> is order of magnitude larger than the traffic on the lists.
>>
>> I don't think I answer your question directly but still...
>> I believe people who use a desktop mail client prefer mailing list while
>> those who use the web interface for mail like gmail.com etc prefer
>> forums. This especially works if you are a long term mailing list user
>> and use POP3 mail and hence can search for question using your mail
>> client search.
>
> The reason I posted request for some statistics, is that
> users may be confused about where to send their requests
> in order to reach the very core of the Arch community.
> Certainly, variety is good as people have freedom of choice,
> but freedom of choice has side effects too.
>
> Anyway, I was just curious what part of developers and users
> are subscribed to the mailing list and what part use forums.

I, for one, am subscribed to the lists (arch-announce,
arch-dev-public, arch-general, aur-general) and also have a forums
account.  The difference is I read 90% of the mails I get (ignoring
the signoff reports or other useless messages) and I haven't been on
the forums since a few years.  Not quite sure how this works for
others.

> Also, are all Arch developers subscribed to the mailing lists?

Most likely, yes.

> Best regards,
> --

Kwpolska <http://kwpolska.tk>
stop html mail      | always bottom-post
GPG KEY: 5EAAEA16   | Arch Linux x86_64, zsh, mutt, vim.
# vim:set textwidth=70: