[arch-general] Different encoding on tty's and X, solution (or workaround?)

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jun 11 05:29:08 EDT 2012

On 11 June 2012 09:11, anti <anti at lavabit.com> wrote:
> I noticed today that my zsh-prompt in the tty's didn't show the same
> letters as in the terminal emulators. First I thought I might have a
> corrupted ~/.zshrc.local, but while it showed the correct encoding in
> geany as well as in the terminal editors in X, it showed a sequence of
> letters (sth like "ßäü") instead of "┌─" when editing it in the tty.
> Invoking 'locale -a' shows as possible locales "en_GB.utf8", while my
> locale in rc.conf was set to "en_GB.UTF-8". Changing the line in rc.conf
> to the locale given by locale -a and rebooting solved the problem.
> My questions:
> [...]

I don't know direct answers to your questions, but I have noticed there
has been confusion regarding *.UTF-8 and *.utf8 locale postfix.

Here is similar thread on the forum:

I followed-up asking for clarification, ideally on the Wiki:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1112328#p1112328

but no responses so far.

IMO, it would be good to have it clarified.

Best regards,