[arch-general] Different encoding on tty's and X, solution (or workaround?)

anti anti at lavabit.com
Mon Jun 11 11:42:41 EDT 2012

On 11/06/12 15:49, Mantas Mikulėnas wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM, Martti Kühne <mysatyre at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 10:11:40AM +0200, anti wrote:
>>> I noticed today that my zsh-prompt in the tty's didn't show the same
>>> letters as in the terminal emulators. First I thought I might have a
>>> corrupted ~/.zshrc.local, but while it showed the correct encoding in
>>> geany as well as in the terminal editors in X, it showed a sequence of
>>> letters (sth like "ßäü") instead of "┌─" when editing it in the tty.
>>> Invoking 'locale -a' shows as possible locales "en_GB.utf8", while my
>>> locale in rc.conf was set to "en_GB.UTF-8". Changing the line in rc.conf
>>> to the locale given by locale -a and rebooting solved the problem.
>>> My questions:
>>> 1. Did I find a solution to my problem, or a mere workaround that might
>>> create more problems after future updates?
>>
>> Heh... I just noticed locale -a shows the same lowercase .utf8 ending, while
>> /etc/locale.gen still contains the uppercase ones which I also considered
>> valid.
>
> There shouldn't be any difference in behavior; see
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-utf8@nl.linux.org/msg01694.html>
> for an explanation.
>
> The `tree` tool is one unfortunate exception. I never get around to
> filing a bug report about it. Maybe initscripts and/or your shellrc
> also have a broken test for ".utf-8"?

I just checked my /var/log/boot, and there was a change from "Setting
Consoles to UTF-8 mode    [BUSY]    [DONE]" to "Configuring Virtual
Consoles    [BUSY] ^[%@   [DONE]" after updating initscripts on June 9,
and to "Configuring Virtual Consoles    [BUSY]    [DONE]" after my
'fix'. I reverted the change to rc.conf, re-installed initscripts, and
everything seems to be working fine after rebooting the system.