[arch-general] Mailing lists vs Forums

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Jun 12 04:40:24 EDT 2012

On 12 June 2012 08:05, David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> wrote:
> On 06/10/12 11:14, Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I prefer mailing lists, but I noticed the Forums
>> traffic is order of magnitude larger than the traffic on the
>> lists.
>
> In principle, I prefer mailing lists. They are not so nice, however,
> when searching for information on the web, given what the various
> sites that harvest the content of mailing lists do to it.

The site: trick [1] has worked for me quite well for long time:

"T400 site:http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/"

Jeremiah's pointed on two front-ends to the same data,  best option I know too.
It is not ideal in though, so it is not a problem to setup ML
mirror on Gmane. Similarly, Nabble works fairly well as a Forum
frontend to ML. [2]

I'm a member of OSGeo Foundation where mailing lists [3] only are provided.
For those who prefer forum frontent, we have the whole hierarchy mirrored
at Nabble. It's worked really well so far.

[1] http://goo.gl/clXUB
[2] http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/How+do+I+make+the+archives+searchable
[4] http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/

Best regards,