[arch-general] DNS server help

Mantas Mikulėnas grawity at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:50:08 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Δημήτρης Ζέρβας <01ttouch at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a VPS and i want to set up a DNS server.
> first of all do i need a secondary NS? why? no money for second VPS...

It's not necessary from the technical point of view, but almost all
registrars require at least two servers for reliability -- if there's
only one server and it goes down, your entire domain (with subdomains,
mail, web, everything) goes down.

However, there are several free secondary NS services:

- https://dns.he.net/
- http://freedns.afraid.org/
- http://www.buddyns.com/
- http://www.zoneedit.com/
- Others, google.

Some VPS hosts, such as Linode, also offer secondary NS for customers.

(Most of them also offer primary NS, but it's usually managed through
a crappy web UI, so let your own server be primary.)

> also can ANYONE explain me the zones in detail? i've read the wiki a lot of
> times...

If you could please ask something more specific...

--
Mantas Mikulėnas