[arch-general] can not login after upgrade

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 15:59:49 EDT 2012

Le 12. 06. 12 21:47, Arno Gaboury a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I am running a fresh update X86_64 Archlinux on BTRFS.
>
> I left my box unused for near one month (15/05-12/06). I did a system
> update today, following all latest news:
> -first updated pacman
> - moved to systemd and libusbx, did all the updates. Everything went OK.
> -upgraded the filesystem with the --force option.
>
> No errors at all.
>
> When rebooting, I did not see the usual init process details with all
> services, going to the login prompt VERY quickly (a few sec).
> At the login prompt, here is what I have:
>
> Archlinux 3.4.2-1-ARCH
> (none)login:
>

> I can type whatever I want (all user names, or anything else), I am
> always back to the propmt. I can no more login.
>
> I dual boot with Ubuntu. From Ubuntu, I see my Arch /boot folder is empty!!
>
> I have no proposal in Grub2 to boot from a previous version.
>
> So now, what shall I do ?
>
> TY for any help, as I am a litle disapointed and first time with such a
> big problem.

After some reading across the forum, I see I am not the only one with
this issue. my /usr and /boot are both on a separate partition from /.
It seems this cause the issue.
As far as I can understand, the solution seems to add the Hook back and
rebuilt the image.

Is this correct??

How can I do that? Form a live cd? Or can I do anything from Ubuntu?