[arch-general] No sound (anymore)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jun 13 17:37:32 EDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 23:22 +0200, Wolfgang Mueller wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 00:09:15 +0300, angelinheavysyrup wrote:
> > This happened after I upgraded alsa-firmware to version 1.0.25-2
> > (from 1.0.25-1).
> Did you try downgrading in order to confirm this being an issue with
> alsa-firmware? Was there anything else that got upgraded along with it?

Two very good questions! When ever possible I'm using Linux as my DAW,
most times when the DAW is borked, the cause isn't something related to
ALSA versions. For example I once upgraded a Debian using GNOME 2
without pulseaudio, it didn't upgrade to a newer version of GNOME 2, but
to GNOME 3 and forced to install pulseaudio. Pro-audio cards don't work
when PA is activated. This is just a relatively unalarming example,
since it's possible to get rid of PA, but there are very grotesque
possibilities for what could happen.

Dunno what's the different between 1.0.25-1 and 1.0.25-2, but it seems
to be possible, that something else is the show-stopper, but ALSA
firmware.

- Ralf