[arch-general] Arch box fine tuning

Rodrigo Rivas rodrigorivascosta at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 10:18:28 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com>wrote:

> Still looking for a good pointer for building my own Kernel 4.2 wjth
> comprehensive explanations of each sub menu of menu config.

I think that you will not find this one. The best explanation of most of
these submenus (that I know of) is the help text that accompanies them.
Other than the kernel source of course!

That said, there are quite a few options that are well documented
elsewhere... just google for them if they seem interesting enough.

I would start by setting in-kernel all the modules your kernel loads at
start up. The objective would be that in a fully booted system, the command
"lsmod" returns nothing. That will keep you busy for quite some time ;-P
After that you can start removing all the modules for weird hardware you
don't have or will foreseeable have, in order to reduce the compilation
time.

And then... without even noticing, you will have learned a lot about even
the most arcane kernel options...

--
Rodrigo