[arch-general] Arch box fine tuning

C Anthony Risinger anthony at xtfx.me
Thu Jun 14 10:44:38 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/14/2012 04:18 PM, Rodrigo Rivas wrote:
>>
>> And then... without even noticing, you will have learned a lot about even
>> the most arcane kernel options...
>>
> Sounds good. I will then stick to your approach, as it makes sense.

personally i would use the kernels `localmodconfig`, ie. `make
localmodconfig`.  this make target will build a kernel matching the
current state of your system. so, you must:

1) boot normally
2) `modprobe -r` any modules you *for sure* don't need
2) `modprobe`/launch absolutely every module/application you might
want or need (everything! loopback, bluetooth, etc)
3) `make localmodconfig`

... this will build you a kernel with only the bare minimum needed to
fulfill your current state; any modules not loaded at this time will
not be built.  you may still need to configure other features
unrelated to modules.

--

C Anthony