[arch-general] Shutdown and reboot not working after last weekend update

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 11:03:04 EDT 2012

> It reports a problem
> reading /boot partition saying something about it being not a valid ext2

I see /boot is ext4

There was a time recently when a kernel bug gave invalid warnings about
other filesystem types like ext2, ext3 before mounting ext4 so it could
be a red herring, is the exact error gone too quick to note.

I presume by Vanilla you mean an arch package?

p.s. If you can edit the kernel commandline you can change the init part to

init=/bin/sh and hitting b to boot

It's limited in what can be done but that way you may be
able to troubleshoot some things more quickly by using the built in
kernel commands, see if there is a reboot command. If there is it is
internal and not from any filesystem. If it works you could then do it
again and this time mount your root filesystem and try the reboot
command from that.

There are also kernel debug configs like printk but I'm not sure that's
the route to go down yet.