[arch-general] time to drop openjdk6 ?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 14 14:37:41 EDT 2012

On 06/13/2012 12:32 PM, Andreas Radke wrote:
> Oracle has declared JRE/JDK7 the preferred one over JRE/JDK6. So it
> should be now stable enough to replace Java6 for everyone also in the
> OpenJDK community releases.
>
> I'm asking if there's somebody still in the need to use openjdk6 for
> certain apps that fail to run with openjdk7? If so please report it
> upstream.
>
> I know there's are still some commercial java apps that will only run
> on the Oracle JRE6 or JRE7 but I ask only if somebody prefers openjdk6
> in our repos over java7-openjdk.
>
> I'd like to drop openjdk6 when the next security update will be
> released if possible.
>
> -Andy

Andy,

   The only issue I've run into lately is the build requirement of 'libhpi'. I
can't recall which package needed it, but it was only available in openjdk6
and is dropped from 7. I don't know how many other libs differ between 6 & 7,
but for all packages that need libhpi openjdk6 is still required.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.