[arch-general] Muting internal speakers

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Jun 15 05:04:30 EDT 2012

Am Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:17:45 +0300
schrieb Chris Sakalis <chrissakalis at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
> pulseaudio[1] has that functionality. You should check it out. On KDE
> , Kmix supports pulseaudio and I am pretty sure it support auto
> switching too.

PulseAudio is more or less crap. It still doesn't support
(semi-)professional audio cards.

If you don't really need it's super-duper extra functions like
gaplessly moving a stream from one sound card to another you better
don't bother with PA. It rather makes things worse than better.

I don't have a solution for the original question, because I don't use
two sound cards at the same time, but there are other and better ways to
disable the internal notebook speakers.

Usually you can choose in every application which sound card to be used
(sometimes in it's config files). I guess there are software mixers for
every desktop environment which let you choose the sound card, which
shall be used.

Btw., isn't there a button on the notebook which can mute those
speakers?

Heiko