[arch-general] Muting internal speakers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 15 06:56:06 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 18:06 +0800, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 5:04 PM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de>
> wrote:
> > Am Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:17:45 +0300
> > schrieb Chris Sakalis <chrissakalis at gmail.com>:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >> pulseaudio[1] has that functionality. You should check it out. On
> KDE
> >> , Kmix supports pulseaudio and I am pretty sure it support auto
> >> switching too.
> >
> > PulseAudio is more or less crap. It still doesn't support
> > (semi-)professional audio cards.
> >
> > If you don't really need it's super-duper extra functions like
> > gaplessly moving a stream from one sound card to another you better
> > don't bother with PA. It rather makes things worse than better.
>
> Yes, why not repeat that opinion in every thread where pulse is
> brought up? Its not like its repetitive.

I agree with Heiko Baums and Oon-Ee Ng, this is possible because ...

If PA should be able to solve the OP's issue, then it's unimportant what
issues PA could cause.

If somebody replies with a guess, that PA might solve the issue on
GNOME, because KMix is able to solve it, then a hint, that PA could
cause serious issues IMO is ok.