[arch-general] Muting internal speakers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jun 15 14:13:02 EDT 2012

Hi Nelson :)

don't worry. I try to explain in simple words, so it's not a perfect
explanation. We are humans, nobody is a "fanboy" neither a "troll".
Since you seem to be a human too, you soon will be familiar with this
stuff too.

On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 20:00 +0200, Nelson Marambio wrote:
> After all I am confused if my installation uses ALSA or pulse now. I
> installed ALSA but the ALSAmixer shows me the volume level of
> pulse ???

Pulse handles audio streams, but does use ALSA.

> If you made the experience that pulse failed where ALSA succeeded there
> is nothing to say against it. But I have to deal with my consumer-card
> (it's really an HDA-chip by Intel) and thus I can't contribute something
> relevant.

You wrote that you're a newbie and that you use GNOME, so the people who
suggested to install pulse where mistaken, since it's already installed
and Heiko was mistaken, since audio does work on your machine.

> What I learned from this discussion
>
> 1) there are several sound-layer (OSS, ALSA, pulse, Jack (?))

OSS (obsolete) and ALSA are the instances that are needed for audio.
Pulse and Jack are "layers".

> 2) several layer can work together but also can result conflicts
> (nothing but logical)

"Yes!"

> Spoken without any irony: thank you all for this experience. I already
> have at least two more question and I will use this mailinglist with
> pleasure !
>
> P.S.: Don't care about the headline from GMX. German Mail-Provider
> sometimes handle mails writen in English very hysterical. I try to train
> the server-located Spamfilter with every new mail from this ML but it
> will take a while.

We know, we don't care. OTOH it's easy to edit the subject.

However, you're welcome and I apologize for that idiotic pulse
discussion. Again, everybody should have been aware that your card does
work with PA and that it didn't automatically satisfies your need to
auto-mute the speakers.

Regards,
Ralf