[arch-general] Shutdown and reboot not working after last weekend update

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 18:02:25 EDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 02:48 PM, Victor Silva wrote:
> 2012/6/15 Don deJuan <donjuansjiz at gmail.com>

>>> Victor,
>>>
>>>    I am no expert in the shutdown logic that Arch uses, but it is fairly
>>> easy to follow. During shutdown, /etc/rc.shutdown is called and the
>>> 'umount_all' command is supposed to take care of unmounting all non-api
>>> filesystems. If you have specific commands you need run in _addition to_
>>> what is done by rc.shutdown, then you can put those commands in
>>> /etc/rc.local.shutdown. The /etc/rc.local.shutdown must be executable to
>>> be called (chmod +x) or (chmod 0755). The rc.local.shutdown file is
>>> called close to the beginning of rc.shutdown.
>>>
>>>    Looking at your mtab file and comparing to mine, I do not have any
>>> usb drives connected to my system. Somebody more familiar with issues
>>> related to usb drives will need to comment. You might want to try
>>> Guillermo's shutdown modified as follows:
>>>
>>> umount -arfl -t usbfs,fuseblk
>>>
>>>    I don't know if that will do it, but you have 5 fuseblk filesystems
>>> and 1 usbfs mounted. I don't know how Arch handles their unmounting.
>>>
>>>    Lastly, I do not use the gnome gvfs-fuse-daemon. That is another
>>> entry to look at and make sure it isn't the issue. Maybe try your
>>> rc.local.shutdown with:
>>>
>>> umount -arfl -t usbfs,fuseblk
>>> killall gvfs-fuse-daemon  # or whatever that process actually runs as
>>>

>> Well just tried reinstalling made no difference. So I guess I will be
>> looking it why it is starting that way. It may or may not be related to the
>> shutdown issues. But other than this one thing my symptoms seem to match
>> this minus the screen turning red when freezing. I will post back here if I
>> sort anything out that may help this problem.
>>
>> I wil try this at home but I'1m at work atm,
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/30136
> ry this kernel paramether reboot=pci
> More info:
> http://intosimple.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/reboot-on-dell-latitude-e6520-with-arch.html

After reading more into that parameter I found this
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/08/04/howto-fix-linux-hangfreeze-during-reboots-and-restarts/

They show more options. I am going to try the one you suggested shortly
and if that does not work do the other suggested option in the link I
posted. Thanks for pointing out your findings.