[arch-general] Totem segfaulting on start on a fully up-to-date archlinux with testing enabled.

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 06:36:26 EDT 2012

Hello,
** fredbezies [2012-06-16 11:26:13 +0200]:

> 2012/6/16 solsTiCe d'Hiver <solstice.dhiver at gmail.com>

>> Le samedi 16 juin 2012 à 09:57 +0200, fredbezies a écrit :
>>> Hello.

>>> Got this error when I try to start totem today :

>>> [fred at fredo-arch ~]$ totem &
>>> [1] 7902
>>> [fred at fredo-arch ~]$
>>> (totem:7902): Grilo-WARNING **: [plugin-registry]
>>> grl-plugin-registry.c:623: Failed to open module:
>>> '/usr/lib/grilo-0.1/libgrlupnp.so'

>>> [1]+  Segmentation fault      totem

>>> I verified, and of course, I have "/usr/lib/grilo-0.1/libgrlupnp.so"
>>> installed. Any idea or tip ? Thanks !

>> I got that error from time to time when I run pacman -Syu and it updates
>> the nvidia driver.
>> So my best bet would be that you just reboot to see if it changes
>> anything or not.

> Guessed it right; Too bad it is sometimes too "windows-like" with nvidia
> driver updates :|

Too bad that whose who don't known the basics try to make such deep
conclusion.

The last time I really need to reboot after graphics driver update
was when I updated kernel too (actually I updated kernel several times
without rebooting before I updated the NVIDA driver and reboot).

IMHO, the minimal steps to use new NVIDIA driver are
1. shutdown X system;
2. logout as usual user and login as root;
3. unload nvidia (kernel) module;
4. load new nvidia (kernel) module;
5. start X system.

---