[arch-general] Kernel Update 3.3.8.1 -> 3.4.2-2 failed

Martti Kühne mysatyre at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 10:51:42 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 01:00:02PM +0200, Nelson Marambio wrote:
> OK, this may be the solution:
>
> Because typing 'depmod' returned a 'command not found' I recognized
> that my current $PATH was different from /etc/profile .
>
> So with 'source /etc/profile' the missing directories were added
> again, this seems to be even permanent up to now.
>
> Afterwards I could upgrade the kernel without any problems.

Sorry for hijacking on $PATH, but...
If you want to play around with $PATH in .bashrc or the like sourced script,
use this function or something equally careful:

# adds one path to $PATH and checks if it isn't already in there
addpath() {
	[[ "$PATH" == *$1* ]] || export PATH="$PATH:$1"
}

unless, of course, you fancy ending up with a crazy long $PATH
(in the .bashrc case) or it's going to break in other ways...

cheers!
mar77i