[arch-general] Arch as a web server

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 09:49:32 EDT 2012

On 06/19/2012 03:42 PM, Szu-Han Chen wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 07:43:06AM -0500, Culley Smith wrote:
>> I have a Linode server running Arch.  I did a little tinkering to enable
>> kernel updates, but that's about it.  I  keep things up to date through
>> Pacman and haven't had many problems at all.  I've run php, ruby on
>> rails, apache, nginx, mysql, postgresql, redis, node.js, and a number of
>> server-side applications without a hitch.  I have found Arch a little
>> easier to configure (especially with newer technologies/versions of a
>> package) than other Linux distros.
>>
>> Culley
>>
>> On Tue, 2012-06-19 at 16:28 +0300, Alper Kanat wrote:
>>
>>> We bought our VPS' from Hetzner btw. Hetzner is a German ISP which provides
>>> cheap (starts from 7€ just look at the price page) but rock solid servers.
>>> They don't officially support Arch Linux but the installation is trivial.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
> I'm not sure if these responses are really helping OP.*He asked about
> running Arch on a web server*, not a thread of web hosting company ads.

Was right now just thinking same. That's good to get some nice VPS
provider names,but I am not sure to know more if I shall stay with Arch
or go debian! Please bear in mind I am not a tech pro, and even if I
want to build the web server on my own coz tech is a hobby, I am looking
for something not too difficult to deal with configuration, updates, and
security.