[arch-general] back up /var/log before shutdown

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 20 05:03:17 EDT 2012

[2012-06-20 10:36:17 +0200] Arno Gaboury:
> My /, /boot and /usr are on a BTRFS  /(except /boot on ext2) on a ssd.
> I want to add this line in my fstab to avoid too many writings on my ssd :
>
> *tmpfs       /var/log       tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec             0     0*
>
> So each time I reboot, my /var/log will be emptied, which could be a
> problem in case of serious issue on my box. I was then thinking of a
> way to backup this folder before I shutdown. I found this trick in
> the Arch forum:
>
> add this in my */etc/rc.local.shutdown*:
>
> |*echo "Copying LOGs..."
>
> now=`date +"%Y%m%d_%Hh%M"`
> mkdir -p /logs_backup/$now
> cp -Rp /var/log/* ~/backup/logs_backup/$now/*
>
> My ~ folder is on another HD.
>
> Will this script be enough to do the job?

Why are you inflicting such a complicated setup on yourself if you
cannot understand what those three little lines of shell do? That seems
to me like a completely backward way of taking the learning curve...

Also, please create new threads instead of hijacking random ones.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan