[arch-general] back up /var/log before shutdown

Arno Gaboury arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 09:51:35 EDT 2012

On 06/20/2012 02:36 PM, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 20/06/12 22:22, Andrew Hills wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM, Arno Gaboury <arnaud.gaboury at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> tar -zcf  "./`date +'%d-%b-%y.tgz'`" /var/log
>> This date format will have you cursing yourself if you shut down more
>> than once in the same day.
>>
> I think he will be cursing himself when he realises the logs tend to be
> most useful after a system crash and using this method he will not have
> any...

Will this following line avoid me cursing myself when multi reboot in a day?

*tar -zcf  "./`date +'%D-%H-%M.tgz'`" /var/log

*AS for backing up the log after a system crash, you are perfectly right. Now I am trying to find something I understand to replace this "dirty" script in my rc.local.shutdwon. Until I found the clean way, I will stick to it.